I specialize in literary fiction, narrative non-fiction, and memoir. I aim to help my clients bridge the gap between their most ambitious vision for their pieces and their current drafts.
I offer tailored reading suggestions, including: essays on craft, relevant/model short stories, novels, and narrative nonfiction. I also create original prompts for each of my clients.
We can meet in-person (if we find ourselves in the same city), or via Skype, GoogleChat, iChat, or ear-to-ear by old-fashioned phone.
First: I carefully read your material.
Second: I make comments , edits, and suggestions on your manuscript using MS Word's "Track Changes" feature.
Third: We discuss.
Macro Feedback includes what I see as your:
- Vision for the material.
- Major areas of conflict.
- Overall characterization.
- Plot: pacing & ordering.
Micro Feedback Includes:
- Areas to & suggestions how to:
- Sharpen conflict.
- Effectively use place, atmosphere, setting.
- Opportunities to deepen characterization with:
- Concreteness of detail.
- Precision of emotion.
- The comments on your manuscript outline the discussion.
Our conversation is focused to achieve two things at once:
- Address specific issues within the story, chapter, or excerpt.
- Give you an improved comprehension of craft techniques and strategies applicable to your current project and your future work.
MFA/MA Graduate Program Applications
Having served on the admissions committee for the MA and MFA programs at San Francisco State, I have a good idea of what makes an application and fiction sample stand out from the rest. Graduate programs have become so competitive, working with a private coach may give you an edge.
HOW I CAN HELP:
- Help you decide where to apply.
- Share my Experience as an MFA/MA student and teacher.
- Read a body of your work.
- Suggest a particular short story or an excerpt to use for your writing sample (based on where you're applying and their requirements).
- Once a sample is selected, I can work with you as described in MANUSCRIPTS.
I CAN HELP YOU:
- Articulate writing goals.
- Devise realistic & practical plans to achieve goals.
- Set and keep deadlines
- Formulate strategies for slow periods or blocks.
RATES: Hourly. Discounts available for packages. Please contact me for details.